Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Finding The Quiet

We often forget how demanding life is, how hectic our days become when routines are being followed. We rarely have time for the quiet moments in our lives. For the past two months, my husband and I have faithfully attended Planet Fitness in our area on a daily basis. It is a routine that has truly turned our physical fitness around and has definitely had its benefits. I love getting to spend this time with David getting in shape, but what I love even more about this time at the gym is it gives me a chance to spend time in a quiet mode, (yes-with headphones on it can be quiet) meditating and praising my Lord and Savior, Jesus. Finding that important quiet time, when nothing is interfering with my life, my mind, my heart, is important so that I can hear my Heavenly Father speak gently to me. Quiet times with Him seem to complete me.

Being a teacher and working with older students, I have had to really learn to listen. Hearing what is being said by a student, a boss, or a co-worker are so important; especially to be able to understand the message being directed to me. But to listen, I  must be silent. As my years grow upon me, I have discovered that I can listen so much more easily than when I was younger. Does it have something to do with the pituitary gland and the growth hormone? Hmmmm...well, perhaps. I really think it has to do with maturing. I see it that we have said enough, and probably MORE than enough, during our youth. For many of us, we have probably said more than our share of things that we regret, and as we age, we NEED no more regrets. I smile as I say that; David suggests that I don't talk about things like I used to. I just feel I need to spend the rest of my life LISTENING to what I have missed.  

The same listening ability is important regarding our Heavenly Father; but first, we must learn to shut out things in our life that may cause distractions and interference. Our lives are just too complicated, and should not be, so we can allow God to speak with us. We have to keep our distracting moments to a minimum so we can allow Him to lead us. Our jobs, hobbies, even keeping our children busy and active, can all be pre-occupying moments; moments that we miss that quiet conversation with the Lord.

My gym time is also called my "Jesus Time" because I am able to pray, acknowledging Him in my life, recognize His healing abilities, and give Him thanks in such a joyous manner.  

Both David and I have lowered our heart rates almost 30%, both have toned up muscles in every part of our bodies, and we have taken out sodium and high fat content foods from our diets. All of this came about whenever we saw sight of our 50th birthdays. He and I believe it is truly important to get our lives in shape to overcome the effects of aging.

So with that said, I just say "rest" and "listen"...our Father would appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment